Kenneth B. Hodges, III
Ken spent 15 years of his more than 20-year career as a prosecutor, including 12 as the District Attorney of the Dougherty Judicial Circuit. He has appeared before juries hundreds of times in both civil and criminal matters, supervised literally thousands of cases and argued before the Georgia Court of Appeals and Supreme Court of Georgia.
Ken was the nominee in 2010 of the Democratic Party of Georgia for Attorney General after carrying 158 out of 159 counties in the primary. He garnered more votes than any other Democratic candidate in the General Election.
Ken will now apply his distinguished trial skills in a practice focused on commercial litigation, civil rights, government investigations, RICO matters, and white collar criminal defense.
He was selected District Attorney of the Year in 2002 in part due to his work as co-counsel in the prosecution of former DeKalb County Sheriff Sidney Dorsey. Ken received the Justice Robert Benham Award for Community Service for his dedication to public service from the State Bar of Georgia and the Eagle Award for outstanding work on behalf of victims of crime from the Criminal Justice Coordinating Council of Georgia. He is a former Chairman of the Prosecuting Attorney's Council of Georgia, a past President of the District Attorney's Association of Georgia, and past President of the Dougherty Bar Association. He is a graduate of Leadership Georgia and served on its Board of Directors.
Ken has been recognized by Georgia Trend Magazine as one of Georgia's "40 Under 40" and by the Fulton County Daily Report as an attorney "On The Rise." Ken received his B.A. from Emory University and his J.D. from the University of Georgia School of Law.
Ken and his wife Melissa, a graduate of Marist and St. Mary's College, are the proud parents of Margaret and Jack Hodges.
- Appointed by the Superior Court of Laurens County to serve as Receiver in forfeiture action brought by the State.
- Lead counsel for Plaintiff in commercial dispute over breach of fiduciary duty involving tens of millions of dollars.
- Co-counsel in defense of multimillion-dollar dispute involving breach of fiduciary duty.
- Lead counsel and co-counsel in defense of white collar criminal charges.
- Lead counsel and co-counsel in more than a dozen death penalty cases
- Lead counsel in more than a dozen RICO investigations and prosecutions, both civil and criminal.
- Co-counsel in case of State v. Sidney Dorsey; Obtained conviction of former DeKalb County Sheriff for ordering assassination of successor in office, Sheriff-Elect Derwin Brown.
Professional Organizations and Memberships
- Atlanta Bar Association
- State Bar of Georgia Executive Committee
- State Bar of Georgia Board of Governors
- State Bar of Georgia Fair Market Practices Committee
- State Bar of Georgia Indigent Defense Committee
- State Bar of Georgia Advisory Committee on Legislation
- Dougherty County Bar Association, Past President
- State Bar of Georgia
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
Civic Involvement and Leadership
- Secretary, Urban League of Greater Atlanta
- Georgia Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
- Nominee for Attorney General, Democratic Party of Georgia (2010)
- State Botanical Garden of Georgia, Board Member
- Albany Civil Rights Institute, Board Member Emeritus
- Darton College Foundation, Board Member Emeritus
- King Celebration Committee, Board Member
- SunTrust Bank in Albany, Board Trustee
- Leadership Georgia, Alumnus and Former Board Member
- Leadership Albany, Alumnus